Saturday, April 5, 2008

Choosing an Aggregator


Google Reader and Bloglines are web-based services that can be accessed anywhere there is an internet connection and are simple to use. I like the visually pleasing straightforward interface of Google Reader.

Setting up and account with Google Reader was as simple as providing an email address and a password, then confirming registration in an email. I began entering my subscriptions immediately by clicking Add Subscription and copying the URL of the desired blog in the space provided. Now whenever I want to see what is new on the blogs I have subscribed to, I simply open Google Reader, where I will find a list of the latest additions from all my subscriptions. I have the option of creating folders for my feeds and can also access Google Reader on my cell phone! Once I had added a few subscriptions, Google Reader produced a list of recommendations for further subscriptions, based on my interests (indicated by my subscriptions). It is also simple to add blogs to Google Reader (or Bloglines) by clicking the XML or RSS link on the blog and then selecting the blog aggregator with whom you are registered.

From Wikipedia:
“More advanced methods of aggregating feeds are provided via AJAX coding techniques and XML components known as Web widgets. Ranging from full-fledged applications to small fragments of code that can be integrated into larger programs, they allow users to aggregate OPML files, email services, documents, or feeds into a single interface. Many customizable homepage/portal implementations such as iGoogle, Live.com, My Yahoo!, and Pageflakes provide such functionality."

No comments: